Today is my so-called one month anniversary at LinkedIn. It’s been a fast week, bootcamp, Inday, and a week of shutdown. So it’s actually much less than a month.
The main thing on my list this month is to get familiar with the technology, tool, process, and products in LinkedIn. Although there is not a lot of happening, I should still look back and think about what can be improved.
What I’m doing great:
- I can quickly get familiar with technology and tools in the company
- I can quickly discover issue and fix it
- I work on tasks with a plan
What I feel challenging:
- Communicate with English speakers about work and life topics is challenging
- Not being very active in meeting and participate in discussions
- Not being very active when chatting with others
I believe my situation is quite common for Chinese in U.S companies, who is active toward technology, but less active in social, and talking. If I want to make a change, I think I need to be doing these:
- Prepare for each meeting, and gain knowledge on one or two topics. This should make it easier to join discussions.
- Get prepared for some common social questions (How was your weekend, and what’s your plan on weekend?)
- Encourage myself to drive discussions when a topic is completed